David and I played the newlywed game on my youtube channel a couple weeks back and it was Hilarious! Watch it here. One of the questions was “If you could be any celebrity who would you be??” Guess what David answered??
The man LOVES his cookies. Sadly, for him I’m not the best baker in the world. I love to cook and bake but i’m not that great at following a recipe. I’ve found baking isn’t that forgiving while I thrive when cooking because of my creative nature. When David and I first started dating I tried to make him his favorite cookies for his birthday and I started an oven fire. Impressive, right?
But TODAY I made perfect cookies! I’m not sure how I did it but they are beautiful and so delicious. I adapted this recipe and changed it into a cookie you don’t need to feel bad about eating AKA REAL FOOD cookies. I used sprouted spelt flour which is easier to digest and rich in nutrients. You can read more about why sprouted flour is so wonderful here.
- 1 1//4 cup *coconut sugar (can sub organic cane sugar or sucanat)
- 1/2 cup butter (preferably grass-fed)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil -buy it here
- 2 eggs (preferably pastured)
- 2 3/4 cup sprouted spelt flour-buy it here
- 2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon-buy it here
*note: coconut sugar has a strong flavor and it did take away from that snickerdoodly taste. For a more authentic flavor use organic cane sugar. Keep in mind that coconut sugar is more nutrient rich so if you kids won’t know the difference use it (unfortunately my cookie monster husband was not as impressed with the flavor).
Set the oven to 350 degrees
- Cream the sugar, butter and coconut oil in a stand mixer
- Add the eggs and mix until incorporated
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet
- Let the dough sit in the fridge 15 to 20 minutes
- Mix together cane sugar and cinnamon
- Roll the dough into balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture
- Place on a cookies sheet and bake 8-10 minutes
- Allow to cool and enjoy!