Having someone understand you is one of the best feelings in the world. Don’t you think?
Feeling like I’m not the only one who thinks “this” or experiences “that” brings so much peace to my life. The past couple months I’ve experienced this warm fuzzy feeling every other Wednesday. I joined a MOP’s (Mom’s Of Preschoolers) group at my church. It’s been a breath of fresh air. I get 2 1/2 precious hours away from my little man to just be ME. I can talk with other moms about ANYTHING. And every week I leave feeling known, refreshed and not alone in this journey called ‘motherhood’. If you need some mama friends or a little break you can find a MOPS group in your area here.
So what does all that have to do with French Toast you may ask? Well, another awesome perk to MOP’s is that we take turns bringing a delicious hot breakfast. Last week was my turn and I found this amazing recipe but I wasn’t pleased with the ingredient list so I turned it into something any real food family can enjoy! You prepare this recipe the night before so you can just wake up in the morning and toss it in the oven! I’m going to make this for my family Christmas morning! Be sure to use sourdough bread because it’s so much better for you…read more about that here.
For the Casserole-you’ll need:
- One 11 x 13 baking dish- like this
- 1 real sourdough batard loaf-make your own!
- 8 eggs (preferably pasture raised)
- 1 cup heavy cream (preferably raw and grass-fed)
- 2 cups milk (preferably raw and grass-fed)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup- buy it here
- 1 teaspoon vanilla-buy it here
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cut the bread into 1 inch slices and place it into the dish-laying them on top of each other. I cut several of the large pieces in half to make the fit more snug.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, and spices in a large bowl until a little bubbly
- Pour the mixture SLOWLY over the top of the bread making sure it gets in-between all the pieces.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
For the Pecan Topping Combine:
- 1/2 cup softened butter (preferably grass-fed)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions-(For the Morning)
- Set the oven to 350 degrees
- Pour the pecan mixture over the top of the casserole
- Bake for 40 minutes until bubbly and crispy
- You can drizzle extra maple syrup on top but it’s plenty sweet without it
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Ya’ll!!!