Since switching to a more natural lifestyle one of the hardest areas to make the “all-natural” switch has been – beauty products. At first it was really difficult for me to even believe that beauty products could really be “that bad” but after a lot of reading I began to realize that whether I liked it or not conventional skincare and beauty products are full of nasty ingredients. Now you might ask..
I’m not ingesting these products so what’s the big deal?
Unfortunately the skin is the largest organ in the body and it only takes a matter of seconds for the products we put on our skin to enter our blood stream. You can read more about the unhealthy truth about conventional beauty products here. What’s worse is that it is very very difficult to find beauty and skincare products that contain “safe” ingredients. Even if the label says “all natural or organic”. I’m on a mission to clean out my bathroom and first on my list is face lotion-I have very dry skin so it is something I use EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. If making you own products does not appeal to you at all…I really like this brand. I discovered it while I was pregnant with my third baby and it wears like a high performing department store brand without the nasty ingredients. If you want help color matching or need help deciding what product works for you -hop on over to my FB Group and we can chat! In full disclosure I only use this lotion and no longer make my own. This mama of three needs to cut corners where she can!
Ok let’s jump in! I have pretty sensitive dry skin so when I wanted to create a face cream- I wanted simple and moisturizing ingredients that wouldn’t clog my pores. You can make this lotion a couple different ways. So I will try and give you different options depending on what kitchen appliances you own.
What you will Need
- 3 1/2 Tablespoon organic Shea butter-buy quality shea butter here
- 2 Tablespoons Jojoba oil-buy quality jojoba oil here
- 3 Tablespoons of Aloe Leaf Juice-buy quality aloe juice here
- 1 Teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 4 drops lavender essential oil of choice- buy quality essential oils here
- A pint sized mason jar
- a small glass jar to store your lotion-like this or this
- Add the Shea butter and Jojoba oil to a pint sized mason jar
- Place a saucepan on the stove and add a cup of water to it-turn on the heat to medium high
- Place the mason jar in the saucepan and stir-slowly melting the Shea butter with the jojoba oil.
- Once the Shea butter and jojoba oil is completely melted add the aloe juice to the mason jar-(the aloe should be luke warm)
- With a hand held immersion blender or food processor -whip the product for at least 5 minutes
- Add in your essential oil and pour into a small jar
- Store you face lotion in a sealed glass far and use within 3 months
* This WILL NOT work if you swap out the jojoba oil for another type of oil. Jojoba is actually a wax and it is what helps emulsify the aloe water into the rest of the ingredients. Make sure you whip the product well so that the liquid completely blends into jojoba and shea butter.