Every year our neighbor makes us the most delicious rum cake and it’s usually gone before you can say “Merry Christmas!”.
However a problem has arisen in our house over the rum cake. We have stopped eating gluten!! However I refuse to let this gluten problem ruin such a delicious holiday tradition!!
Let me tell you guys! Making a grain free version of rum cake IS NOT EASY. I tried 3 times with horrible results BUT by the fourth time I NAILED IT. You won’t even know these rum cakes are grain free…..
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil –buy it here
- 1 1/2 cup coconut sugar-buy it here
- 5 pastured eggs-
- 3 1/2 cups almond flour –buy it here
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt –buy it here
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dark spiced rum(preferably organic)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract-like this :
- Set the oven to 325 degree
- Cream the butter and the coconut oil in stand mixer-like this one
- slowly add the sugar with the mixer on low
- Add each egg and let it mix in before adding the next one
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients
- With the stand mixer on low- Start with the dry ingredients; in small amounts alternate between adding the milk/rum and the dry ingredients
- Once all the milk, rum and flour are incorporated add the vanilla.
- Add the batter to a well buttered and floured mini bundt cake pan-like this
- Bake for 45 minutes. Check with a toothpick inserted into center of a cake to confirm it’s cooked all the way through
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then flip out onto a large cutting board
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 dark spiced rum
- In a saucepan melt the butter and the honey together
- On medium heat continue to stir honey and butter for 3 minutes until bubbling
- Turn the heat to low and add the rum
- Stir for a couple minutes to cook out the alcohol
- Generously pour the glaze over the rum cakes
- Allow to cool and ENJOY
*Notes– You can make this in a large bunt cake pan like this one but you will need to increase your cooking time. I did not try it but it will probably take at least 1 hr and 30 minutes.