Last pregnancy I went to the dentist which is similar to Dentist Parlin and my very friendly hygienist informed me that I had pregnancy gingivitis. I was completely horrified but thankfully it cleared up soon after giving birth. However the bleeding, swollen and tender gums were a huge pain during pregnancy. This pregnancy I’m trying to be a lot better about taking care of my teeth and gums while pregnant to make sure I prevent gingivitis this time around. I’m making sure that I touch base regularly with my Dentist New York just so we both know how I’m getting on with my oral health throughout the pregnancy.
I’ve upped my flossing and brushing which is working! I went to the dentist a couple weeks ago and the hygienist said my gums were looking beautiful. But here’s the thing, I’ve started using completely natural toothpaste-I LOVE THIS ONE. My only problem with it is that I don’t get that refreshing minty feeling all over my mouth that I’m accustomed to getting from regular toothpaste. I decided to try my hand at making a DIY mouthwash and I’m in love. Obviously, before you use these homemade products you should check with your Dentist in Citrus Heights to make sure they are appropriate for your teeth and gums. These are just my experiences with the product. It makes my mouth minty and fresh while promoting gum health and preventing cavities naturally. I have made it with both peppermint essential oil and Thieves blend essential oil. Peppermint oil gives the typical minty fresh feeling while absorbing odor but Thieves is awesome because it has antibacterial and antiviral properties which makes it excellent for the health of your teeth and gums. It is important to use high quality therapeutic grade essential oils when using them in your mouth-buy them here. The recipe also has Xylitol because it sweetens the mouthwash and naturally prevents cavities, you can read more about that here .
- 2 cups distilled water
- 2 tsp. baking soda-buy quality baking soda here
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt-buy quality sea salt here
- 5 tsp. Xylitol-buy quality xylitol here
- 5-10 drops of Peppermint essential oils or Thieves oil – buy therapeutic grade essential oils here
- 16 oz glass jar with lid-I bought mine from Target(isn’t it cute?) but this will work too
- Heat 1/2 a cup of the distilled water until warm
- Mix warm water with baking soda, salt and xylitol-stir until dissolved
- Add the remaining water and essential oil
- Using a funnel-pour into jar
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
- Use prior to brushing your teeth
- Shake very well and gargle 2 Tablespoons for 1-2 minutes
- Spit out